ADVICE FOR THE USE OF THE WRAP
Some useful data to keep in mind when using a Scarf
- No one is born knowing, some attempts will always be necessary until you know how to adjust the scarf easily. In other words, do not give up after one or two attempts. Surely the third or fourth will come out! Of course the best thing would be to have the possibility to do a workshop with an adviser who could teach you some trick and help you with his advice. If you do not have that possibility, you may be able to find help in your lactation or postpartum group.
- We recommend you try the techniques in front of the mirror with assistance from your partner, friend, mother ... Four eyes see more than two and at first you will feel more secure with the help of another person.
- The first few times or when you try out a new technique, do it when your child is well rested, changed and eaten and when you are also in a good mood. If one of you does not feel like it, everything gets complicated.
- If at first you are unsure, your baby will notice and is very likely to cry. For the baby the scarf is a new element that has to be accustomed little by little. Explain what you are doing and you have to practice a little or sing and play it. Sometimes this technique works miracles!
- It is very important that the scarf picks up the baby firmly and supports the baby's back. The back should be slightly curved backwards since the spine of a newborn has this form by nature. It is achieved with the "ranita" or "M" position. That is, it is better that the scarf is a little firmer than too loose. You will see that after making some attempts you will know when it is well knotted.
- The knot will be firm enough when you do not have the feeling of having to hold the baby with your hands. In those variants in which you take the baby sitting in front of you, the correct height is the one that will allow you to kiss his head from above. If you can do it without difficulty, the baby is in the correct position. If the child is too low, the scarf's knot is too loose and the baby will pull you down. If, on the other hand, the child is too high, it will impede your vision and may cause cervical problems. Since the fabric of the scarf continues to adjust slightly after adjustment, it is preferable to tie it a little stronger. Thus, after a few minutes, the scarf will fit perfectly.
- Before releasing the baby into the scarf you must be absolutely sure that the child is well placed and that it will not be able to slip out of the scarf!
- The baby should always be seated so that his / her head and body are oriented towards the person wearing it. Otherwise, the baby's back would not be well supported and even your spine could bend forward.
- At any time you should observe that the baby is sitting astride, that is to say in the position "frog" or "M" (less in the position of cradle *). Thus your back will be arched ergonomically and will facilitate the maturation of the hip. For this reason, it is essential that the scarf always open in such a way between the legs (knee to knee) that the baby is automatically seated in the position "frog" indicated. However, it is important that the scarf does not cut the corners and that the baby's knees are at least at the level of your navel! * In case of hip dysplasia, the crib should not be used because in this position the child's legs are straight stretched so the femoral head can not be fixed in the pelvic bone!
- Do not over-shelter your baby because your body also emits heat and it is more common for a baby to have heat than cold. Trust your instinct and dress the baby just like you dress yourself. The scarf replaces a layer of clothing. Only in the little ones it is important to cover the head and the feet (if they leave the scarf) apart. They are the parts of the body that cool faster. In summer it is important to protect from the sun the baby's limbs that are not covered by the scarf or its clothes. In autumn and winter it is a pleasure to cover the baby with your own jacket. This way, your baby will be as close as possible to you and can enjoy your warmth. Make sure you get enough air.
- Although you feel very fit after the birth, you should start taking your baby just a few minutes in the first few days so that your muscles and your pelvic floor gradually adapt to the movements. If you still get stitches, try another technique to exercise other muscles.
- A scarf is knotted much better if the fabric is not entangled in itself as it is much easier to adjust and smooth it. You should also note that when adjusting the scarf there are no folds of fabric on the baby's back because they could disturb you.
- Before trying a new technique, we recommend you read the instructions 2 or 3 times and knot it 1 or 2 times without a baby (for example with a cushion or a teddy bear). So, you have already become familiar with the technique and you can focus more on the baby and the scarf.
- The scarf is a magnificent and very personal assistant that allows you to carry your baby comfortably with you, providing you with flexibility and mobility. If you find it very difficult to do any of the steps or the hammer pinches or tightens, try yourself or how you can tie better or more comfortable. Because the scarf is intended for both you and the baby to feel comfortable.